|Dr. MIRJA KAIZER AHMMED|
Department of Fishing and Post-Harvest Technology
Faculty of Fisheries
Dr. Mirja completed his PhD in Food Science at the University of Otago in New Zealand, and was recognized on the university's 2022 exceptional list. He has completed his PhD on “Investigation of marine omega-3 (n-3) phospholipid from New Zealand commercial fish co-products” from the Department of Food Science, University of Otago, New Zealand. His thesis investigated marine-derived n-3 phospholipids and examined processing methods and extraction techniques to enhance the yield and quality of the extracted lipid using pulsed electric field technology and enzyme-assisted extraction techniques. The outcome of my thesis has been published in nine (9) journal articles in top Food Science journals and in a 1 book chapter. In his research, he developed a novel method, ETHEX for phospholipid extraction, which was published in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
His PhD thesis has been listed in the exceptional thesis list of Division of Science, published in 2022.
He earned a Bachelor of Science in Fisheries from Khulna University in 2012, where he was top of his class. He then completed a Master of Science in Fish Processing and Quality Control at the same university in 2014, again ranking first in his cohort. After starting as a Lecturer at CVASU at the Department of Fishing and Post Harvest Technology in April 2015, he was promoted to Assistant Professor in 2017.
Dr. Mirja boasts a wealth of experience in teaching and research, having worked in Bangladesh and New Zealand, at institutions including University of Otago and Massey University, New Zealand. He has published over 30 peer-reviewed articles and served as a guest editor for various high-impact factor journals. He has expertise in developing food prototypes to deliver functional ingredients, as well as knowledge in bioactive omega-3 fatty acid encapsulation, characterization, and delivery. These diverse experiences and skills position will help Dr. Mirja to contribute exceptional teaching and research outputs.
|•||Head in Fishing and Post Harvest Technology, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from July 12, 2017 to Feb. 21, 2018|
|•||Research assistant in Fisheries and Marine Resources Technology, Khulna University from March 1, 2020 to June 2, 2014|
|•||Research Associate in WorldFish, Khulna, WorldFish from Aug. 1, 2012 to Jan. 31, 2013|
|Course Name||Course Code||Department|
|Algal Biotechnology||ABT-401||Department of Fishing and Post-Harvest Technology|
|Fishery Products Technology||FPT-302||Department of Fishing and Post-Harvest Technology|
|Fishing Technology||FTE-101||Department of Fishing and Post-Harvest Technology|
|Fish Inspection and Legislation||FIL-402||Department of Fishing and Post-Harvest Technology|
PhD in Food Science - University of Otago, New Zealand
MS in Fish Processing and Quality Control - Khulna University, Bangladesh
B. Sc. in Fisheries - Khulna University, Bangladesh
• Received exceptional PhD thesis award from University of Otago, New Zeland.
• Received conference travel grant to attend an international conference in Australia.
• Awarded prestigious Otago Doctoral Scholarship to continue PhD at University of Otago, New Zealand.
• Selected for the meritorious scholarship by University Grand Commission of Bangladesh at Master’s level in the year 2013.
• Awarded “University Meritorious Student Scholarship” in Undergraduate level in three consecutive years (2008-2012) for merit in academicals activities at Khulna University.
• Awarded Islami Bank Meritorious Scholarship, provided by IBBL trust for merits in academicals activities at undergraduate level at Khulna University.
• Achieved more than 95 awards in sports, cultural and co-curricular activities during primary, secondary, higher secondary and university level.
1. Student member, New Zealand Institute of Food Science & Technology (NZIFST)
2. Student member, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
3. Student member, American Chemical Society (ACS)
4. Life Member, Krishibid Institution of Bangladesh.
5. Life Member, Bangabandhu Krishibid Parishad.
6. Life Member, Democratic Teachers’ Forum, CVASU.
7. Member, Teachers’ Association, CVASU.
Google scholar link: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=oUgL5_MAAAAJ
Author's highlight (Highest impact factor and highest citation):
Ahmmed, M. K.*, Ahmmed, F., Tian, H., Carne, A., & Bekhit, A. E. D. (2020). Marine omega‐3 (n‐3) phospholipids: A comprehensive review of their properties, sources, bioavailability, and relation to brain health. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 19(1), 64-123. (Impact factor: 15.8, Quartile Ranking: Q1)
Year - 2023
Year - 2022 (Total publications = 5, Total impact factor = 25.4)
Year - 2021 (Total publications = 7, Total impact factor = 47.5 )
Year - 2020 (Total publications = 4, Total impact factor = 15.8 )
Year - 2018 (Total publications= 2, Total impact factor = 3.2)
Year - 2017 (Total publication = 1)
Year - 2017 (Total publications = 3)
Year - 2015 (Total publications = 3)